Before you Travel
Bookings needed & things you can prepare in advance to make the most of your time once in Rome
The huge majority of travelers visit the following attractions. They need to be booked to avoid huge queues or to guarantee availability.
The first ticket you should definitely book in advance is the one that includes visits to the Colosseum, Roman Forum and Palatine Hill. Being one of the 7 Wonders of the New World, the Colosseum is often crowded, so selecting a time to enter through a fast track is always a good idea!
The second tickets you should book are the ones for the Vatican Museums. So many people visit them that the lines to get in can be really long, making you loose precious time of your trip. With this ticket you'll also be able to get in at your selected time and through the fastest entrance available.
PASSES TO MAKE THE BEST OF YOUR VISIT
There are different Passes you can buy to enter attractions and each has its own options, so you should check them out before choosing. If you read the descriptions and still can't decide which pass to get, send me a message and I'll help you with it!
- The Best of Rome All Access Pass: this card gives you fast track reserved entry at popular landmarks, like the Vatican Museums or the St. Peter's Basilica. The price goes from € 80.
- Roma Pass: you can choose to get this card for 48 or 72 hours. It offers skip-the-line admission to 1 or 2 attractions, discounts on the next attractions entrances and free use of the city’s public transport system (metro, trams and buses). The price goes from € 29.
- The OMNIA Vatican & Rome City Pass: this card gives you fast track access to some of Rome's historic sites, like the Vatican Museums and the Colosseum. It's valid for 3 days and it gives you free entry to 2 out of 5 attractions and discounts for the other ones. You can also use the Roma Cristiana Open Bus Tour, which works as a Hop-On - Hop-Off bus. The price goes from € 113.
There are different ways to get from Fiumicino airport, the ones we recommend the most are:
The comfortable and cheapest door-to-door option: Shared Shuttle
If you book one of these shuttles, your driver will be waiting for you at the arrival hall and will take you to the vehicle. The max. number of people in one van is 8, so it won't take too long to get to your accommodation, usually around 45 minutes to 1 hour. It costs € 7.50 per person.
The comfortable and private door-to-door option: Private Transfer
With this service your driver will also be waiting for you at the arrival hall. The difference is that the vehicle will be all for you, so you won't have to wait for other passengers and the driver will take you straight to your hotel in max. 50 minutes, depending on traffic. The price is approximately € 50 per vehicle, depending on the address of your hotel.
Once in the city, I suggest walking as much as you can, so you take in the beauty of its streets. However, for longer distances you have these options:
The cheapest way: Public Transport
The Public Transport in Rome has buses, metro and trams. The same ticket is valid for all of them. A single ticket costs 1.50 €, the Rome 24 hs ticket costs 7 €, Rome 48 hs costs 12.50€, Rome 72 hs costs 18€ or a weekly ticket for 24€.
Public transport is included in the Roma Pass, which you can choose to get for 48 or 72 hours and which also includes skip-the-line admission to 1 or 2 attractions, discounts on the next attraction entrances. The price goes from € 29.
The most comfortable and Panoramic way: Hop-On-Hop Off buses
With these buses you'll get to go around the city and get off and on at your desired stop.There are 3 companies:
- Big Bus Company: you can choose three different options: the Classic ticket is valid for 1 day, the Premium ticket is valid for 2 days and the Deluxe ticket for 3 days, all of them with 8 stops around the city. You'll also get to do 4 different and free guided walking tours with any of the tickets. The price goes from € 32 per person.
- Green Line Tours: it has the option of a 24-hour or 48-hour pass and it has 10 stops. The price goes from € 25 per person.
- Panoramic route pink buses: they have 24, 48 or 72-hour passes and 8 stops around the city. The price goes from € 25 per person.
Book your tours, guides & activities: the best tours sell out fast. Try to do your research and book before you go. Have a look at our Love Your Trip selection, we have the best services and experiences in town.
If you need advice to choose your activity or you’re looking for something specific, send me a message.
Have you just started to plan your trip? Too many things to decide? Too long do it all by yourself? Special needs or wishes? Then, you should plan your trip with a local to get tailored travel plans & advices.